Re: SpellCheck API?

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 18:44:13 -0400
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> This does mean firing tens of thousands of events during load on some pages
> (e.g. wikipedia article edit pages)....  Maybe that's not a big deal.

If that's too many events, couldn't the browser optimize by not
spellchecking words until they scroll into view?  I imagine that might
not be terribly simple, depending on how the browser is designed, but
maybe tens of thousands of events aren't too expensive anyway.  I
don't know, up to implementers whether it's doable.

I'm assuming here that there's effectively no cost if no one's
registered a spellcheck handler, so it won't penalize authors who
don't use the feature.