Re: SpellCheck API?

From: Oliver Hunt <oliver@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 08:47:10 -0700
Cc: "Hironori Bono (坊野 博典)" <hbono@google.com>, public-webapps@w3.org
To: Olli@pettay.fi

> This is the privacy violation, and not acceptable as such.
> I wonder how to not expose native spellchecker data to web page, yet
> support this use case. Or do we need yet another permission, which user
> has to give to the page before the spellchecker API fully working.

In general permission dialogs are not real solutions to privacy problems -- when a user sees a dialog their mindset is not "what is this dialog asking?" but "how do i make this dialog go away?".

This same problem exists with the geolocation apis and others, but adding more examples of this doesn't seem like future proof plan.

--Oliver