Re: [File API: FileSystem] Path restrictions and case-sensitivity

From: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 23:14:19 +0300
To: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Cc: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>, Eric U <ericu@google.com>, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Kinuko Yasuda <kinuko@google.com>
On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:
> The one take-away I have from that bug: it would have been nice to have a
> more descriptive error message.
> It took awhile to figure out that the path length was too long for the
> implementation.

if the exception included a suggested legal / available filename,
would that have helped?

e.g. if i try to create a file whose name is 2345 characters long, and
my exception suggests a file that's 255 characters long (probably via
truncation, although possibly using some tilde stuff or whatever), i
suspect i might be able to figure out that it's a 256 character limit.
Similarly if i try to create a file w/ a <:> in it, and i get an
exception with a file that doesn't have one, i might be able to
understand what's going wrong and what to do.