Re: Reminder: RfC: Last Call Working Draft of Web Workers; deadline April 21

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 22:09:14 -0400
To: public-webapps@w3.org
On 4/20/11 3:54 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> Please correct me if I'm missing something, but I don't see any new
> privacy-leak vectors here.  Without Shared Workers, 3rdparty.com can
> just hold open a communication channel to its server

Unless you have a firewall or proxy that prevents that particular site
(via blacklist or whitelist) from doing that.  Or unless you have a
browser extension that prevents such things.

So shared workers are in fact adding a new vector: browser extensions
will need to be changed to handle them, and they can't be dealt with at
all via wirewalls or proxies.

-Boris