RE: CfC: WebApps testing process; deadline April 20

First, thanks to Art for pulling all this content together. We're looking
forward to a more structured process for testing as various specifications
in the WebApps increase in maturity.

I have a couple of small comments related to the issues Aryeh raised.
Apologies for the lateness of these comments; I spent time sharing this
process with a number of teams at Microsoft before responding.

1. Early approval of tests

We think that waiting for Last Call or Candidate Recommendation before
approving tests loses some of the value of tests in driving ambiguity out
of the specification. The CSS WG found many issues in CSS 2.1 as a
consequence of tests and some of these issues we substantive enough that
the spec went back to Working Draft status. Avoiding this by reviewing test
cases earlier in the process will help to improve spec quality. I think
of this in the following way: a bug filed against the spec requesting a
change represents someone's view that the spec is wrong. On the other hand,
an approved test with consensus of reviewers in the working group helps to
identify more stable sections of the spec. It doesn't mean it can't change
but it does mean the spec has had additional review on the assertions made
in the test and that's useful.

2. Calls for Consensus

When a contributor submits a set of tests, hopefully members of the
public-webapps-testsuite list will review them. When the contributor believes
they have addressed all of the feedback on the tests, we think they should
be able to put the tests forward for a Call for Consensus on approving them.
The WG may choose to issue such a call on a regular schedule for tests that
have had sufficient time for review if the number of submissions makes doing
this "on demand" too cumbersome. This call may just be made to the testsuite
mailing list. A full WG consensus shouldn't be necessary until document
transition.

3. Test suite maintainer

It's not clear from the discussion below what the role of the maintainer is
and whether there's one per spec or one for the group. This seems like largely
an administrative role in ensuring that the appropriate tests are moved into
the approval folder at the correct time and that the status of the test suite
is accurately recorded. Perhaps members of the working group could volunteer
to help with this or maybe the Team could help. Microsoft would be willing
to contribute here too.

Thanks,

Adrian.