Re: [widgets] localizing author

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 01:22:07 +0200, Scott Wilson
<scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 Apr 2011, at 09:42, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>
>> I just realised that I actually localise my own name in certain
>> languages ... But I cannot do that in config.xml. Likewise, I would
>> like to localise the href ...

> I guess the workaround at present is to use the element to do something
> like
>
> <author>王密 (Michelle Wang)</author>
>
> ... which is not completely ideal as you don't get different hrefs.

Right. It's also not ideal in general, since in a localised presentation
it makes sense to present the localised information, and this requires you
to choose which one is going to predominate for e.g. sorting.

> I presume the change would be to make Author multiple with xml:lang.

That's what I had in mind.

> I think a risk is that developers might reasonably interpret this as
> meaning "one <author> element for each person" rather than "one <author>
> element per locale".

Hmm. Given the way localisation works, I think it would take a
particularly dumb reading of an example to assume that - although I agree
it is possible, and therefore someone will do it at some point. It would
also be reasonable if we want to restrict to one author to allow
internationalised author elements, while maintaining that only the first
match *for a given language* will be used.

cheers

Chaals