Re: RfC: WebApps Testing Process

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 07:51:25 -0400
To: ext Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
On Apr/6/2011 6:33 PM, ext Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Garrett Smith<dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> | Within each test one may have a number of asserts.
>>
>> I don't agree.
>>
>> SRP applies to functions and also unit tests. Limiting test functions
>> to one assertion keeps them simple and can also indicate too much
>> complexity in the method being tested.
> Multiple assertions per test are allowed so each file will have a
> fixed number of tests that always run.  This way you can come up with
> meaningful figures on the number of tests failed.  Often it's
> impossible to even run one assertion if a previous assertion fails, so
> having one assert per test wouldn't allow this.
>
> Personally, I've found multiple assertions per test to be useful and
> natural, once I got used to them.  I'd want concrete objections to
> actual tests that have been written if I were to consider switching to
> using only one assertion per test.
>
>> Testing W3C APIs is something that I have advocated for years on these
>> lists.. This test harness needs an overhaul, however. It is not easy
>> to find an expert with deep knowledge of W3c APIs, ECMAScript,
>> browsers, and unit testing and who can put all of it together. This
>> stuff is not as simple as it might appear on the surface.
> That may be, but in the end, it's the people who write the tests who
> will decide how they write them.  If you're interested in persuading
> test writers to follow particular practices, I'd suggest providing
> complete and detailed arguments.

I think we want to give test case contributors some flexibility and not
make the process overly prescriptive.

Garrett - almost all of the text in the Harness wiki document is copied
from testharness.js, the idea being a reader could get a general sense
of the harness without reading the JS file. If any of the info in that
document is incorrect, I will fix it or delete it (and plan to work more
closely with James on its contents).

-Art Barstow