Re: [WebSQL] Any future plans, or has IndexedDB replaced WebSQL?

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 10:42:33 -0700
To: Joran Greef <joran@ronomon.com>
CC: Shawn Wilsher <sdwilsh@mozilla.com>, public-webapps@w3.org
On 4/6/11 10:30 AM, Joran Greef wrote:
> If Mozilla enjoys using the latest version of SQLite (and I assume they are not planning on replacing internal SQLite embeddings with IndexedDB - not at this stage at least), then web developers deserve the latest version.

This is not obvious a priori, for what it's worth.

Mozilla also enjoys using self-modifying machine code [1], for example.
  Yet we have no plans to expose that capability directly to the web.

> Ship the latest version of SQLite (even with the -moz prefix).

In case this was not clear, we think that this would be actively bad for
the web, not least by increasing the barrier to entry into the web space
for new browsers.

-Boris

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inline_caching