Re: [WebSQL] Any future plans, or has IndexedDB replaced WebSQL?

From: Shawn Wilsher <sdwilsh@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 10:21:16 -0700
To: Joran Greef <joran@ronomon.com>
CC: public-webapps@w3.org
On 4/6/2011 10:06 AM, Joran Greef wrote:
> I bring up the iPad example because I had experience with a LocalStorage implementation (I think it was Safari) loading the contents of LocalStorage into memory synchronously on first access, blocking the UI thread. I am probably wrong on this one but I think I remember reading on Web Apps that this was one of the motivations behind limiting LocalStorage quota to around 10mb. At the time I was one of those who believed that LocalStorage would support storage of at least 10 GB as a matter of course. I hope you can understand my slight distrust of subsequent storage APIs (other than those of proven track record) in this light.
localStorage had a major design flaw that shipped and was then used
before it was identified (at least that's my understanding of the
timeline).  That flaw is that it requires disk I/O to happen before (in
webkit's case onload) or during the call to the API.  IndexedDB (and
WebSQL) were specifically designed to avoid this by doing the work