Re: [WebSQL] Any future plans, or has IndexedDB replaced WebSQL?

On 04 Apr 2011, at 6:04 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> It's new.

Do you think it would be wise then to advocate doing away with SQLite before IndexedDB has had a chance to prove itself? Surely two competing APIs would be the fastest way to bring IndexedDB up to speed?

> Ironically, the poor performance is because it's using sqlite as a
> backing-store in the current implementation.  That's being fixed by
> replacing sqlite.

Yes I am aware of this. There are some design flaws in IndexedDB. For instance, it does not regard objects as opaque (as would a typical key-value store), which means that creating an index on an existing object store would require deserializing/serializing every object therein. Doing that for 50,000 objects on an iPad would be breathtaking.

I have written object stores on top of SQLite and they are already an order of magnitude faster than IndexedDB with a more powerful and memory efficient API to boot.

> Kinda the point, in that the power/complexity of SQL confuses a huge
> number of develoeprs, who end up coding something which doesn't
> actually use the relational model in any significant way, but still
> pays the cost of it in syntax.

I was not referring to SQL but to the underlying primitives exposed through the SQL interface. For example, set operations on indices, or the ability to index objects with array values.