Re: [WebSQL] Any future plans, or has IndexedDB replaced WebSQL?

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 07:39:09 -0700
To: Joran Greef <joran@ronomon.com>
Cc: "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Saturday, April 2, 2011, Joran Greef <joran@ronomon.com> wrote:
>> I am incredibly uncomfortable with the idea of putting the
>> responsibility of the health of the web in the hands of one project.
>> In fact, one of the main reasons I started working at Mozilla was to
>> prevent this.
>>
>> / Jonas
>
> I agree with you. All the more reason to support both WebSQL and IndexedDB. It is not a case of either/or. It would be healthy to have competing APIs.

Competition might be a great thing. But it doesn't address the issue
in the least. It would still be the case that some developers would
choose to use WebSQL, and browser makers would still have to support
it, including support the SQL dialect it uses.

Hence it would still be the case that we would be relying on the
SQLite developers to maintain a stable SQL interpretation to keep a
healthy and functional web.

/ Jonas