Re: [WebSQL] Any future plans, or has IndexedDB replaced WebSQL?

On 4/1/2011 5:40 AM, Nathan Kitchen wrote:
> Are there any browser vendor representatives on the mailing list who would
> care to comment on the criteria for implementing something akin to Keean's
> RelationalDB<https://github.com/keean/RelationalDB>  idea? What would need
> to be in place to start work on such an implementation?
It wouldn't be terribly difficult to prototype this as an add-on for
Firefox, I don't think (and I'd be happy to provide technical assistance
to anyone wishing to do so).  Doing this would allow web developers to
install the add-on and play with it, which can give us useful feedback.

I'm not saying we'd move it into the tree at that point, but it's a good
first step to building a case to take it.

>     1. Opportunity to explore more solutions to "offline data" than *just *
>     IndexedDB.
There is also http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/offline.html and
http://dev.w3.org/html5/webstorage/ (even if you don't like them, they
are other solutions to the offline problem).  Browser vendors are not
just looking at IndexedDB.

>     2. Many web developers have a working knowledge of SQL, so the concepts
>     of a relational database may be more familiar. If adoption could be
>     considered a proxy for the "success" of a standard, I'd suggest that aiming
>     for something the web development community understands would be a large
>     factor in adoption.
I don't really think IndexedDB is that dissimilar to a relational
database.  There are a lot of one-to-one mappings of concepts of one to
the other.

>     3. It's probably (!) easier to implement RelationalDB than IndexedDB, as
>     it maps fairly cleanly to existing relational database technologies. This
>     would allow vendors to implement it using Sqlite, Access, etc independent of
>     the spec.
Given that most vendors already have working implementations of
IndexedDB, I don't think this is a good argument ;)

Cheers,

Shawn