Re: FileAPI use case: making an image downloading app

On 12/17/2010 5:03 PM, Gregg Tavares (wrk) wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com
> <mailto:chuck@jumis.com>> wrote:
>
>     We're actively developing such functionality.
>
>     The limit per directory is for the sake of the os file system. If
>     you want to create a data store, use indexedDB or use standard
>     file system practices (create a subdirectory tree).
>

> I think you're missing the point. If I have a folder with 6000 files
> on some server and I want to mirror that through the FileAPI to the
> user's local machine I'm screwed. I can't **mirror** it if it's not a
> mirror.
I'm not missing the point. I'm actively developing an app that downloads
images from photo sites.

A strict Mirror (lets use a capital M) is something you're not going to
pull off with the File System API at this time.
You can't set meta data, like permissions/flags and
modification/creation dates. Developing a Mirror is not feasible with
the current API.
You can't create a direct Mirror, one which would work seamlessly with
"rsync".

You can "mirror", the data on a remote server, and check that the data
already exists on your file system,
by using a subdirectory system, much like the two level directory
structure that many cache apps use (like Squid).

>     Disk space availability (quota) is an issue no matter what
>     happens. When downloading 1000 images, you'll still only be doing
>     so x at a time.
>

> I don't see the point you're trying to make here. I don't know the
> size of the images before hand. Many internet APIs make getting the
> sizes prohibitively expensive. One REST call per file. So before I can
> download a single file I'd have to issue 1000 REST XHRs to find the
> sizes of the files (waiting the several minutes for that to complete)
> before I can ask the user for the space needed.  That's not a good
> user experience. If on the other hand the user can give me permission
> for unlimited space then I can just start downloading the files
> without having to find out their ultimate size.
>
> I suppose I can just request 1 terabyte up front. Or query how much
> space is free and ask for all of it.
Yes, that's correct, you'd hope the space is available.
When you run out of space, you can use a limited amount of RAM while
waiting.

There are few resource management APIs available for memory/bandwidth
hungry applications.

My point was that these questions you're bringing up are common to all
cross-platform applications.

Regarding your issue of "a ray tracing program" : You'd also want to
either: create sub directories,
or simply create a large file with its own methods.