Re: FileAPI use case: making an image downloading app

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:

> We're actively developing such functionality.
>
> The limit per directory is for the sake of the os file system. If you want
> to create a data store, use indexedDB or use standard file system practices
> (create a subdirectory tree).

I think you're missing the point. If I have a folder with 6000 files on some
server and I want to mirror that through the FileAPI to the user's local
machine I'm screwed. I can't **mirror** it if it's not a mirror.

> Disk space availability (quota) is an issue no matter what happens. When
> downloading 1000 images, you'll still only be doing so x at a time.

I don't see the point you're trying to make here. I don't know the size of
the images before hand. Many internet APIs make getting the sizes
prohibitively expensive. One REST call per file. So before I can download a
single file I'd have to issue 1000 REST XHRs to find the sizes of the files
(waiting the several minutes for that to complete) before I can ask the user
for the space needed.  That's not a good user experience. If on the other
hand the user can give me permission for unlimited space then I can just
start downloading the files without having to find out their ultimate size.

I suppose I can just request 1 terabyte up front. Or query how much space is
free and ask for all of it.