Re: XBL2: First Thoughts and Use Cases

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 5:12 AM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>wrote:

> > We definitely have use-cases that require the shadow DOM to be
> dynamically
> > updated when an element that expands to a template instance has its
> subtree
> > changed. Almost every application that combines dynamic DOM modification
> > (e.g. editing) with templates needs this. So you do need to record how
> > instances were created.
>
> Can you give a more specific example?

Suppose I use XBL2 to define <fancycontainer>, a container with elaborate
styling that I can't do with CSS alone. Changes to the children of a
<fancycontainer> need to be reflected in the shadow DOM tree built for
<fancycontainer>, otherwise dynamic changes in the presence of
<fancycontainer> are just broken. For example, adding a child to <container>
would need to find the associated template instance and insert the child
into the right place in the instance.

Rob