Re: Local Storage Not Retaining Data Between Local Browser Sessions

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 14:03:50 -0800
To: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
Cc: Ronald Lane <rlane6013@verizon.net>, public-webapps@w3.org
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Ronald Lane <rlane6013@verizon.net> wrote:
>>> We would like to develop a system (javascript) to run on a local browser. We
>>> would like to make use of local storage however in testing this out we see
>>> that when running the app from a server local storage works fine but when
>>> running the app locally it fails to retain the data between sessions.
>>>
>>> Is this an intended function?
>>
>> This is really a problem with the file: protocol rather than a problem
>> with localStorage. localStorage works on the basis of origin, a
>> concept which is defined for protocols like http: and https:, however
>> I believe so far has not been defined for file:. I'd recommend talking
>> with the IETF, though I wouldn't get my hopes up as it's really a very
>> hard problem to solve unfortunately.
>
> Yeah, we've basically punted on the origin of file URLs in IETF-land.

The only decent solution I've been able to think of is to make it
possible to configure a browser to tell it that a given local
directory constitutes a "site" and that all files in that directory
(and its sub-directories) are same-origin.

A solution like that is likely out of scope for IETF. The best way to
pursue a solution like that is to start talking to individual browser
vendors directly.

/ Jonas