Re: requestAnimationFrame

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 11:54:30 +1300
To: Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>
Cc: robert@ocallahan.org, "Gregg Tavares (wrk)" <gman@google.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
Darin Fisher:
> How about just running the callback once the tab becomes visible again?  It
> will run, but just not unless there is reason to animate/paint.

I can imagine a situation where you have an animation that goes for,
say, 10 seconds, and once the animation finishes something else happens.
The 1 second maximum period seems useful in this case, because you might
make the tab visible again for a long time, but you expect the
“something else” to happen.  It’s pretty natural to do the checking for
whether the animation has gone past its end time within the callback.

(You might say though that for important “something elses”, these
shouldn’t be keyed off an animation which might be throttled down
severely.)

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/