Re: Discussion of File API at TPAC in Lyon

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 15:47:06 -0800
To: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Cc: Arun Ranganathan <aranganathan@mozilla.com>, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, November 11, 2010 11:47 AM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>> Oh, definitely, we still need the createObjectURL/revokeObjectURL
>> functions. Sorry, that was probably unclear.
>>
>> However we're still left without a place to put them. Maybe it's as
>> simple as putting them on the document object? That works nicely since
>> their lifetime is scoped to that of the document object.
>>
>> Another possibility is putting them on the URL interface object. I.e.
>> not using URL objects themselves, but rather something like this:
>>
>> x = URL.createObjectURL(myblock);
>> typeof x == "string";
>> URL.revokeObjectURL(x);
>>
>> But I think I prefer the document solution.
>
> I thought we'd decided on a new global object and just needed to come up with a name. This is what we're currently planning to do. Mostly though, I just want us to decide. This seems to have changed every month for a long time and I'd like us to pick a solution and stick to it.
>
> From http://www.w3.org/2010/11/02-webapps-minutes.html#item16
>> jonas: the proposed solution is some global object where we put 2 functions
>> anne: is there some existing place we could put them?
>> sam: maybe window.blob? but you want to do it for stream too so maybe that's not a good place
>> ericu and others: k, let's move on

I don't actually remember how the discussion went. I do remember that
I was confused for a while thinking that we needed a new global
anyway, to allow Files, Blobs etc to be used directly on img.src, but
I was wrong in that.

Anyhow, I agree with the sentiment that I'd like to just decide a
place and move on with our lives :)

Maybe using a global object is better since we don't really want these
functions to appear on documents created using XMLHttpRequest,
DOMParser, etc.

Quick, someone suggest a name, whoever comes up with one first wins a
beer for next TPAC :)

/ Jonas