Re: XHR responseArrayBuffer attribute: suggestion to replace "asBlob" with "responseType"

From: David Flanagan <david@davidflanagan.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 17:14:23 -0800
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, public-webapps@w3.org, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren@apple.com>, Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com>, michaeln@google.com, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap@webkit.org>, jorlow@google.com, jamesr@chromium.org
On 11/10/2010 03:00 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>> So you prefer that .responseType take a string value as opposed to an
>> integer enum value?  Darin Fisher had the idea that introspection of the
>> supported values would be easier as an enum.
>
> Yes, I think using an enum would be *extremely* verbose, particularly
> given this particular API's name.  I don't want to see or type code
> like:
>
> myXHR.responseType = XMLHttpResponse.RESPONSETYPE_ARRAYBUFFER;
>
> This is much better:
>
> myXHR.responseType = "arraybuffer";
>
> ~TJ

You can have consise and introspectable values if the verbose constants
have string values instead of integers, of course.

	David