Re: [XHR2] why have an asBlob attribute at all?

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 13:08:07 +0200
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "David Flanagan" <david@davidflanagan.com>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 07:55:58 +0200, David Flanagan
<david@davidflanagan.com> wrote:
> I doubt I understand all the implementation issues.  But if there really
> is some reason to have this blob/non-blob decision point before calling
> send(), can I suggest that instead of confusing the XHR API with it, it
> be moved into a separate BlobHttpRequest interface that has only
> reponseBlob and does not even define responseText, etc.

Brainstorming here. We could choose to always expose resonseArrayBuffer
and keep it together with responseText and responseXML. And for
applications that are worried about memory usage or care about very large
files we could have BlobXMLHttpRequest similar to AnonXMLHttpRequest. We'd
abstract some things out from XMLHttpRequest so BlobXMLHttpRequest does
not have the other response* members and so that AnonXMLHttpRequest does
not need withCredentials and the fourth and fifth parameter to open().

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/