Feedback requested on returning null/void or throwing an exception

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 19:46:06 +0100
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
Hi All,

We've came across a situation in the RDFa API which could do with some
input from the webapps group, primarily on the WebIDL side of things.

We have the following interface:

interface TypedLiteral : RDFNode {
     readonly attribute stringifier DOMString value;
     readonly attribute IRI                   type;
     any valueOf ();

If a converter is registered with the API for the specific `type` then
valueOf() returns the native type (for instance Date in the case of

We are currently looking for input on what valueOf() should return when
there is no converter registered. Choices we're looking at are:

  1: unconverted value
  2: throw an exception
  3: return null
  4: return void

1 and 2 aren't really any option tbh - 3 I prefer, 4 another member of
the WG prefers, but primarily we're looking for best practise in this
scenario, and whether 4 is even an option.

Best and TIA,