Re: XHR responseArrayBuffer attribute: suggestion to replace "asBlob" with "responseType"

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 03:04:33 -0400
To: Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com>, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com>, michaeln@google.com, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap@webkit.org>, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com>, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren@apple.com>, jorlow@google.com
On 10/27/10 2:28 AM, Darin Fisher wrote:
> I think it's about performance as well as implementor convenience.  If
> the implementor knows up front that the data should be stored as a Blob,
> then the implementor can write the data to disk without having to waste
> memory.

I have no problem with hinting to the implementor that the result is
expected to be used as a Blob so they can optimistically store it to
disk.  My problem is with then making it impossible to get it as a
string if needed later (which would just involve reading the data from
disk into memory).

-Boris