Re: createBlobURL

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That doesn't cover nearly all the ways you can use URLs as defined in
>>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-images/ which support multiple levels of
>>> fallback images, with snapping and resolution as well as gradients and
>>> fallback colors. And with used in a property like backgroundImage, you
>>> can have several combined instances of those. Consider:
>>>
>>> style="background-image: image(sun.svg, 'sun.png' snap 150dpi),
>>> image(wavy.svg, 'wavy.png' 150dpi, 'wavy.gif', radial-gradient(...))"
>>
>> This would be part of the <url> interface, and would be accepted
>> anywhere a <url> is currently accepted.  Exposing the correct
>> interface of function arguments would be a job for the function
>> interface in the Values API, and is designed to be orthogonal.
>
> Note that the syntax for images is significantly different from the
> syntax for urls. So I suspect you mean <image> rather than <url>
> above.

No, I meant <url>, which happens to be a type of <image> as well.  I
don't know what it would mean for me to mean <image>, as that covers
much more than what you can produce with a blob.

> However it still leaves my original statement unanswered:
>
> "Like I said, I think creating an OM that covers all the cases here
> would create something very complex. I'd love to see a useful proposal
> for <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-images/>"

I outlined how it would work above, I thought.  Any property that can
take a <url> should, in the Values API, be able to take a url object
like we're describing here.  Any function that can take a <url> as an
argument should do the same.  The exact interface for exposing
function arguments hasn't been nailed down yet, but once you can do
so, using it should be the same as using an ordinary property which
just takes a <url>.

~TJ