Re: createBlobURL

From: Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:18:26 -0400
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>, Adam Barth <abarth@gmail.com>, Darin Fisher <darin@google.com>
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 01:57:30 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
> wrote:
>> The only real solution here is to abandon the use of URLs-strings
>> ("blob:...") and instead use some type of object which represents a
>> reference to the blob/stream/whatever. Then make img.src, iframe.src,
>> CSSStyleDeclaration.backgroundImage etc accept this new type in
>> addition to a string.
>
> If that is the only real solution I suggest we do that. We can create
> some kind of DOMURL type which is either a DOMString or a
> URL/Blob/something and change the relevant APIs.

This is an attractive direction that could help with the revocation
problem (and maybe even spare some IANA work with
registering/formalizing blob: if in the end we abandon URL strings, but
I'd rather not skip ahead).  I'm in favor of vendor-prefixing the
create*URL revoke*URL methods, but I leave that to implementers.