Re: Use cases for Range::createContextualFragment and script nodes

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 23:43:18 -0700
Cc: Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>, public-webapps@w3.org
To: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>

On Oct 20, 2010, at 9:41 PM, Adam Barth wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Stewart Brodie
> <stewart.brodie@antplc.com> wrote:
>> Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
>>> When WebKit or Firefox trunk create an HTML script element node via
>>> Range::createContextualFragment, the script has its 'already started' flag
>>> set, so the script won't run when inserted into a document. In Opera 10.63
>>> and in Firefox 3.6.x, the script doesn't have the 'already started' flag
>>> set, so the script behaves like a script created with
>>> document.createElement("script") when inserted into a document.
>>>
>>> I'd be interested in use cases around createContextualFragment in order to
>>> get a better idea of which behavior should be the correct behavior going
>>> forward.
>>
>> Does the specification for createContextualFragment say anything about this?
>
> I don't believe such a spec exists, or at least I couldn't find one
> the other month.

It is indeed not part of any standard. It was originally a Mozilla vendor extension, later copied by Opera and Safari. We added support for it in 2002 because at least at the time, some sites used it: http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/2940

It should probably be added to a spec at some point. Perhaps Web DOM Core could be expanded to cover Range & Tranversal?

Regards,
Maciej