Re: createBlobURL

> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 02:30:39 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
> wrote:
>> I agree. Another thing that is nice about the window.*BlobURL() API is
>> that it makes it clear which origin the created url will have. I.e.
>> the origin of the window which it's called on.
>>
>> We could maintain that even if we used a URL constructor by saying
>> that it's tied to the window whose .URL property was used as
>> constructor, but it makes it a much more indirect connection.
>
> It is not any less direct than how it works for new XMLHttpRequest,
> new Worker, new EventSource, and any other number of constructors
> where URLs are somehow involved in the objects they create. I do not
> really see why new URL would be special here.

Fair point.  It is conceivable that the URL API can evolve to include
creation of Blob and Stream URLs using the blob: scheme in constructors,
including revocation mechanism for these (yes, programmer/user assisted
revocation is necessary).  If and when that happens, we can deprecate
these other methods (createObjectURL and revokeObjectURL).

I look forward to seeing the URL API mature into a real specification,
and seeing some prototypes.

-- A*