Re: createBlobURL

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 16:45:04 +0200, Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>
wrote:
>   On 10/18/10 10:14 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> we design it in a generic way so that it also works for Stream objects?
>
> This would be a good idea; this was noted as part of the issues [1].
>
> Is your suggestion to have a generic method (with a better name) that
> takes Streams or Blobs as arguments?  Do you have a suggestion for
> signature or method name?

I did not come further than createURL or createURLFromObject. However, if
we get URL objects (or maybe WebURL to prevent clashes) tying it to that
makes a lot of sense to me.

>> Otherwise we will get createStreamURL as well which seems kind of
>> unnecessary. Maybe even better, can we somehow converge this with the
>> URL specification Adam Barth was working on? So you can do new
>> URL(Blob) rather than having more methods on Window?
>
> OK, that's engineering for maximum use cases, but not a bad idea on the
> whole.  However last I checked, the URL API was a proposal as a Google
> doc[2].  Does it live somewhere more permanent?

No, not yet, but I suspect it would not be a problem for Adam to make this
into a Working Draft.

> Implementations are already in circulation that have *.createBlobURL
> which leads me to:
>
>> Also, is there some kind of implementation summary available regarding
>> the File API specifications? With what is shipping prefixed and what is
>> shipping without a prefix? We are interested in supporting this too in
>> the distant future.
>
> No, but there should be.   I think it's Firefox nightlies and Chromium
> nightlies for now.  Firefox isn't using a prefix on the method.

I would prefer it if createBlobURL and co were prefixed. Everything else
is probably stable enough.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/