Interacting with notifications

From: Jimmy Forrester-Fellowes <jimmy@rocketware.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 13:41:20 +0100
To: public-webapps@w3.org
Hi All,
I've been playing with the webkit notifications API while creating a
chrome-extension. I wanted to raise my concern that I think non-interactive
notifications are unintuitive for some/most scenarios. I understand that
using HTML notifications you can add links/buttons so the user can action a
notification. I think HTML notifications are a really bad idea as they will
be inconsistent in both styling and user experience.

I suggest that the notification API should allow users to add actions to a
notification that would consist of a Title & URL. This would leave the
browser/OS notification system to deal with the styling & user-experience of
the notification.

I would urge a reconsideration of the API.

All the best,
Jimmy

p.s as an Ubuntu user I'm constantly frustrated by the fact I can't click on
chat notifications etc (via NotifyOSD)