Re: [XHR2] ArrayBuffer integration

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:39:01 -0400
To: Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com>
CC: Michael Nordman <michaeln@google.com>, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Jian Li <jianli@chromium.org>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com>, Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir@mozilla.com>, Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com>
On 9/28/10 10:32 AM, Chris Marrin wrote:
> I'd hate the idea of another flag in XHR. Why not just keep the raw bits and then convert when responseText is called? The only disadvantage of this is when the author makes multiple calls to responseText and I would not think that is a very common use case.

It's actually reasonably common; Gecko had some performance bugs filed
on us until we started caching the responseText (before that we did
exactly what you just suggested).

Oh, and some sites poll responseText from progress events for reasons I
can't fathom.

-Boris