Re: A URL API

Adam Barth wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org> wrote:
>>> Yes, that sounds pretty good to me too.
>> This has annoyed me for a while too.  I'll write up a spec.
>
> Here's a sketch:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1r_VTFKApVOaNIkocrg0z-t7lZgzisTuGTXkdzAk4gLU&hl=en

might I suggest naming it URI or IRI, and the addition of some or all of
the following methods:
   bool isAbsolute();
   URI defrag();
   URI toAbsolute();
   URI resolveReference(in URI reference);

the following methods exposed to handle complicated URIs:

   u = new URI('http://ex.org/a/b/c/d/../.././egg#s/../x');
   u.isAbsolute();                        -> boolean
   u.defrag();                            ->
'http://ex.org/a/b/c/d/../.././egg'
   u.toAbsolute();                        -> 'http://ex.org/a/b/egg'

and to resolve relative URIs + URI References:

   u = new URI('http://ex.org/a/b/c/d');
   u.resolveReference('../.././n?x=y');   -> 'http://ex.org/a/n?x=y'

ps: I'll happily implement this interface Javascript whenever as I've
already got something similar: http://github.com/webr3/URI

Best,

Nathan