Re: [XHR] Redirects

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 09:50:41 +0200
To: Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>
CC: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On 16.09.2010 09:39, Darin Fisher wrote:
> Adding a .followRedirect method means that developers can choose to use
> it or not.  If they want to manually construct the redirected request,
> then they can do so using a new XHR object.  However, if the use case is
> only auditing redirects, then being able to call .followRedirect on the
> existing XHR is quite convenient and minimizes the chances of making
> some common mistakes.

If using followRedirect() is easy, but manually following it is hard,
people might choose the wrong approach just because it's easier.

I think that obtaining the resolved Location for the redirect is the
most tricky part, and we should come up with a solution where that is
also available for people who do not want the default browser behavior.

Best regards, Julian