Re: [XHR] Redirects

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:37:50 +0200
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On 15.09.2010 10:16, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> Yes. However, I was only 50% joking. Are we sure that XHR should behave
>> the same?
>
> Why should it behave differently from every single other HTTP request
> the browser makes? That seems like adding complexity for the sake of
> complexity...

What browsers do today is a bug per spec.

Use cases for XHR are not identical to surfing web pages. There are
protocols/implementations that expect method names to be preserved for
301/302 (*), and an XHR2 with sane redirect handling should at least
make it possible to talk to these servers.

Best regards, Julian

(*) For instance, when Apache/mod_dav 302-redirects a PROPFIND request,
the expectation *indeed* is that the redirect request is a PROPFIND.