Re: [DOMCore] Attr

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 14:07:20 +0200
To: "Ojan Vafai" <ojan@chromium.org>, "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "Olli@pettay.fi" <Olli@pettay.fi>, "Adrian Bateman" <adrianba@microsoft.com>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: "WebApps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 14:35:22 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought I'd email some people directly to figure out what we can do
> with Attr as it is one of the last bits not defined yet in Web DOM Core
> and I would sort of like to handle it so the specification is "complete"
> (at least beyond the initial 80%).

Another thing I think we should consider is getting rid of the API
differences in XML. The differences are annoying; consider trying to use
XHTML with external script libraries that assume HTML is being used.

* Let createElement have its argument converted to lowercase also in XML.
* Let createProcessingInstruction create a PI also in HTML.
* Let getElementsByTagName match the argument converted to lowercase for
elements in the HTML namespace also in XML.
* Let tagName be converted to uppercase for HTML elements also in XML.
* Let getAttribute, setAttribute and hasAttribute have the first argument
converted to lowercase for HTML elements also in XML.

tagName is the only change that is likely to break in existing XHTML-only
scripts, AFAICT.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software