Re: [XHR] Redirects

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 16:35:41 +0200
To: "Darin Fisher" <darin@chromium.org>
Cc: "WebApps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 23:59:17 +0200, Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>
wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> That seems like the current design, except we currently do not have that
>> additional method. I would like to keep it out until it is more clear
>> this
>> is a real problem. It would add quite a bit of complexity whereas just
>> having this is fairly straightforward.
>
> The problems I've raised here are real problems that I've observed while
> building HTTP implementations for Mozilla and Chromium.  It is easy for
> good coders to make these kinds of mistakes.

I did not mean to downplay the problems you were raising. Do you think we
should have a method like openPreserveState() that unlike open() does not
reset a bunch of information? So to handle a redirect you would do
openPreserveState(); send(); after the initial request if status is one of
301/302/303/307. (You might have to do some more.)

Do you think I should comment out the followRedirects feature for now? At
until we address the problem of how to follow it easily?

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/