Re: ISSUE-122 (add mousewheel): Consider adding 'mousewheel' again [DOM3 Events]

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 07:51:52 -0400
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
Hi, Anne-

Anne van Kesteren wrote (on 9/10/10 7:17 AM):
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:09:38 +0200, Web Applications Working Group Issue
> Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:
>> 'mousewheel' was later dropped based on feedback from implementers
>> (Mozilla, Microsoft), who expressed a reluctance to implement
>> 'mousewheel', and a lack of useful interoperability and concern that
>> any change to improve interop would likely break a number of sites.
>>
>> However, the group may wish to consider adding it again, see:
>> * http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2010JulSep/0103.html
>
> Are you saying Internet Explorer no longer supports the mousewheel
> event? The reason Opera / Chrome / Safari support the event is because
> Internet Explorer has it too and is needed for compatibility. Mozilla
> indeed does not have it, but they have DOMMouseScroll or some such.

I'm not making any claims about who will or won't support mousewheel.
I'm just trying to state what I recall of the rationale for removing it
from DOM3 Events.  I don't feel terribly strongly about it either way,
in any case.

See also my reply on the thread on www-dom:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2010JulSep/0126.html

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs