[XHR2] ArrayBuffer integration

(Removed the WHATWG list (cross-posting is such a pain and XMLHttpRequest
is mostly developed here) and renamed the subject.)

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 17:22:44 +0200, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
> ArrayBuffer certainly has momentum behind it. It started as a part of
> the WebGL spec as a way of passing buffers of data of various types
> (sometimes heterogeneous types) to the WebGL engine. Since then, it has
> found uses in the Web Audio proposal, the File API and there has been
> talk in using it as a way to pass data to Web Workers. We have discussed
> using it in XHR as well, and I think that would be a great idea. From a
> WebGL standpoint, it is the one missing piece to make it possible to
> easily get data of any type from a URL into the WebGL engine. But it
> would have uses in many other places as well.
>
> For reference, here is the latest proposal:
>
>  https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/webgl/doc/spec/TypedArray-spec.html

Okay. I guess we can all add support for it and see who screams :-)

I can certainly add this to XMLHttpRequest Level 2 and have been wanting
to do that since forever. As you might have seen notes to that effect are
in the specification. send() can be overloaded as per usual. Currently the
proposal for the response member is responseBody which nicely maps to HTTP
entity body.

I'm currently writing a new version of DOM Core, but if the above is
sufficient detail I would encourage everyone to implement it as if it was
in the specification. I can update it later.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/