Re: Flags for getFile/getDirectory (Re: New draft of FileSystem API posted)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 03:41:26 +0000 (UTC)
To: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
cc: Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com>, Kinuko Yasuda <kinuko@chromium.org>, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
On Tue, 7 Sep 2010, Adam Barth wrote:

> I think the bitfield approach is better.  The current approach doesn't
> work very well in strongly typed languages.  Although we might think
> that these APIs will be used most-often from JavaScript, these APIs are
> language neutral and should work in a variety of settings (e.g., as part
> of the NPAPI).  Baking in assumptions that APIs are used by dynamically
> typed language isn't good for the web platform in the long term.

The APIs don't have to be identical in each language. For example, I would
expect a C++ port of ValidityState:

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete.html#validitystate

...to be implemented as a bitfield with constants, rather than as an
object with fields. Should anyone want to implement that interface in such
a language, then would be a time to provide suitable IDL for that case.