Re: Lifetime of Blob URL

From: Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:22:45 -0700
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: arun@mozilla.com, Jian Li <jianli@chromium.org>, Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com>, Dmitry Titov <dimich@chromium.org>, Michael Nordman <michaeln@google.com>, David Levin <levin@google.com>, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>
> wrote:
> >> In addition, BlobError and BlobException sound better because these
> names
> >> are consistent with current "Blob" naming scheme in File API. So we're
> also
> >> going to adopt these new names in the WebKit implementation when we
> rename
> >> FileReader to BlobReader per the spec.
> >
> > *sigh.  Naming continues to be hard.  Not everyone's thrilled with the
> > proliferation of Blob in the API [1] including other major implementors
> (my
> > co-editor included ;-))  but I changed it mainly due to Darin/Jian/other
> > objections.  I suppose you folks are pretty adamant on the Blob* name?
> I feel pretty strongly that we should name this back to FileReader,
> for several reasons:
> 1. Most people that I talk to dislike the name Blob, much less having
> it spread to things like BlobReader.
> 2. My understanding is that the writer counterpart is going to be
> called FileWriter (is this correct?)

Yes, that is what we are currently implementing in WebKit.

> 3. While it's certainly possible to read Blobs with this, it seems to
> me like the far most common case will be to read a "real" file, or
> part of a file (i.e. the result from myfile.slice()).

4. There is one shipping implementation of FileReader
It just seems odd to use an interface named FileReader to read blobs, which
may not correspond to files.  Consider BlobBuilder, which can be used to
construct a Blob from a string.

Another idea (possibly a crazy one) would be to eliminate Blob, and just use
File for everything.  We could rename BlobBuilder to FileBuilder and have it
return a File instead of a Blob.  Same goes for Blob.slice().  Of course,
the File would not necessarily correspond to a real physical file on disk
for performance reasons.