Re: XMLHttpRequest Priority Proposal

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 17:37:05 +0200, Mike Belshe <mbelshe@google.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Here is an updated doc:
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/document/pub?id=1TcKtHi-XUVKXj9erQkkBXdidnG78lhK04D-2lh4O51Y
>>

> Can you make this publicly available? Now it requires a google.comaccount.

Sorry about that.  I've given up on google docs.  I have no idea how to
effectively share documents from it.  I've moved the specification to here
instead:

http://www.belshe.com/test/xmlhttprequest.priorities.html

<http://www.belshe.com/test/xmlhttprequest.priorities.html>

> Should this also throw an INVALID_STATE_ERR exception just like timeout and
> withCredentials do? See
>
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/XMLHttpRequest-2/#the-timeout-attribute
>
> for details on those attributes.

Ok.

> What prompted me to look at this again was a bug in WebKit I was added to.
> I briefly looked through the patch there but the networking layer was doing
> nothing at all with the field. (Well, it was not changed by this patch.) Is
> this really something that is useful prior to the deployment of SPDY? And
> are we sure SPDY is going to use something like this and that it will be
> useful then?

The Google Maps team has used this technique quite effectively, seeing some
pages reduce latency by ~70%.  They have to fully schedule all resources
manually, however, as they get no help from the browser today.

> I suppose we can always remove the property later, but it seems rather
> experimental at this stage, so I am not sure whether I should add it.

I think it gives developers a good way to manage complex applications, and
it is pretty simple.

Mike