RE: [IndexedDB] Current editor's draft

From: Jonas Sicking [mailto:jonas@sicking.cc]
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:27 AM

That's my interpretation, dynamic transactions don't lock whole object stores. To me dynamic transactions are the same as what typical SQL databases do today.

The author doesn't explicitly specify which rows to lock. All rows that you "see" become locked (e.g. through get(), put(), scanning with a cursor, etc.). If you start the transaction as read-only then they'll all have shared locks. If you start the transaction as read-write then we can choose whether the implementation should always attempt to take exclusive locks or if it should take shared locks on read, and attempt to upgrade to an exclusive lock on first write (this affects failure modes a bit).

Regarding deadlocks, that's right, the implementation cannot determine if a deadlock will occur ahead of time. Sophisticated implementations could track locks/owners and do deadlock detection, although a simple timeout-based mechanism is probably enough for IndexedDB.

As for locking only existing rows, that depends on how much isolation we want to provide. If we want "serializable", then we'd have to put in things such as range locks and locks on non-existing keys so reads are consistent w.r.t. newly created rows.

I'm not sure why openObjectStore would need to be asynchronous in this context. In the past this was the case because metadata wasn't locked by the fact that you had an open database object, so openObjectStore involved I/O and possibly contentention against schema modification operations. Now that openObjectStore doesn't have to deal with contention (and implementations will probably cache the database catalog) there is no reason to make it async that I can think of.

-pablo