HTML Device element status

From: Rich Tibbett <rich.tibbett@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 12:41:27 +0100
To: public-webapps@w3.org
I realize that the HTML Device element [1] is still in its infancy but
should the scope of this spec be modified to integrate with other APIs as
proposed here:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Jul/0026.html

?

The proposed <device> element seems like the most logical fit for such a
non-form-based control - Any extensions to <input type="file"> would invoke
a file picker which AFAICS would not make for an ideal UX for
non-file-specific information interaction. Rather than getting in to the
UI/UX of the device element, the ability to pass parameters to any resulting
<device> control would open up a ton of possibilities.

I know first hand that we don't deal in roadmaps, but should we assign some
priority to fleshing out such a fundamental element as <device>?

Many thanks,

Richard

[1] http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-device/