WebIDL exceptions

From: Andrew Oakley <andrew@ado.is-a-geek.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 15:43:55 +0100
To: public-webapps@w3.org
Is there any agreement on how exceptions in WebIDL should map to
ECMAScript objects?  I can't see anything in WebIDL to specify this.

I would have expected each exception type to have an interface object
and an interface prototype object, both containing the constants for the
exception numbers.  The interface prototype objects would all inherit
from the same thing (I used DOMException but ACID3 implies this is
incorrect).  This object would then implement toString for exceptions.
Inheriting from the ECMAScript Error.prototype object would also seem
reasonable.

My understanding of the current browser implementation is that in Gecko
and Webkit browsers the interface prototype objects have
Object.prototype as their [[Prototype]].  Opera doesn't seem to have
interface prototype objects for exceptions.

I would propose that the right thing to say in WebIDL is that exception
interface and interface prototype objects are constructed in the same
manner as normal interfaces, and that the interface prototype objects
have the Object.prototype object as their [[Prototype]] unless something
else is indicated in the IDL.

Does this seem right, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

--
Andrew Oakley