RE: Custom DOM events and privileged browser add-ons; Was: Bubbling/Capturing for XHR + other non-DOM objects

From: Chris Wilson <cwilso@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 16:21:31 +0000
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Brett Zamir <brettz9@yahoo.com>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, Travis Leithead <travil@microsoft.com>, "Adrian Bateman" <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Jonas Sicking [mailto:jonas@sicking.cc] wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 1:29 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think Anne answered the question, in any case: the XHR event target
>>> chain only contains the XHR object itself and nothing else.  If the
>>> spec doesn't say that explicitly, it should.
>>
>> I do not think the XMLHttpRequest specification should state that to
>> be honest. If that is at all unclear from the current specifications
>> (and I am not particularly convinced) that should be clarified in DOM
>> Events. There are plenty of objects around that implement EventTarget.
>> Saying for every single one of them they are standalone is make work.
>
>Indeed. Seems like having the DOM Events spec say that EventTargets are standalone unless otherwise specified seems like a good idea.

...and that's precisely what I was getting at, and why I asked what some appeared to take as an obvious question.  It would be a good idea, imo, to establish the pattern: that events on non-DOM objects do not (unless they explicitly say so) get capturing/bubbling behavior.  The place to do that would seem to be the DOM Events spec.

BTW, the XHR spec does not say anything about capture, iirc, just bubbling - leaving it somewhat ambiguous.

Thanks,
-Chris