W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webapps@w3.org > January to March 2010

[widgets] Draft minutes for 18 March 2010 voice conf

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:02:26 -0400
Message-Id: <30211C6F-EB77-42FD-A3EB-46E192A11DA2@nokia.com>
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
The draft minutes from the March 18 Widgets voice conference are  
available at the following and copied below:

  http://www.w3.org/2010/03/18-wam-minutes.html

WG Members - if you have any comments, corrections, etc., please send  
them to the public-webapps mail list before April 1 (the next Widgets  
voice conference); otherwise these minutes will be considered Approved.

-Regards, Art Barstow

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                        Widgets Voice Conference

18 Mar 2010

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2010JanMar/0857.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2010/03/18-wam-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Art, Marcos, Arve

    Regrets
           Robin, Frederick

    Chair
           Art

    Scribe
           Art

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Review and tweak agenda
          2. [6]Announcements
          3. [7]P&C spec: <span> element and dir attribute
          4. [8]Widget Interface spec: status and next steps
          5. [9]URI Scheme spec
          6. [10]View Modes Media Feature spec
          7. [11]AoB
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

    <scribe> ScribeNick: ArtB

    <scribe> Scribe: Art

    Date: 18 March 2010

Review and tweak agenda

    AB: the draft agenda was posted on March 17 (
    [13]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JanMar/08
    57.html ). I expect a relatively short meeting given Robin isn't
    here today (he is Chairing the DAP f2f meeting now). We will skip
    the the WARP topic. Any change requests for the agenda?

      [13] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2010JanMar/0857.html

Announcements

    AB: No call on March 25; next call is April 1. Any other short
    announcements?

P&C spec: <span> element and dir attribute

    AB: Marcos, what's the status of the <span> and dir attribute
    changes you proposed (
    [14]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JanMar/07
    15.html )?

      [14] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2010JanMar/0715.html

    MC: I am done with the normative changes
    ... still need to have examples checked
    ... Richard Ishida provided one example
    ... would be good to get review of the other examples
    ... But even if they are wrong, it wouldn't prevent publishing
    ... We need to talk to the Team about whether these changes will
    require us to go back to LC

    AB: agree we need to have that conversation
    ... seems like we should get some implementor feedback before
    proceeding
    ... that is on the new bidi text
    ... but not clear who can give us the feedback we need

    MC: yes, agree it would be good

    AB: I think we need to show the bidi test are "testable"

    MC: yes, think that's OK; need to show it can be implemented
    ... we could have some screen shots that show for example the name
    element with R2L text

    AB: I think Scott and Wookie is probably the closest we have to an
    Implementor

    <scribe> ACTION: barstow follow up with Scott re the <span> element
    and dir element and Wookie [recorded in
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2010/03/18-wam-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-509 - Follow up with Scott re the <span>
    element and dir element and Wookie [on Arthur Barstow - due
    2010-03-25].

Widget Interface spec: status and next steps

    AB: we haven't talked about the TWI spec (
    [16]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-api/ )

      [16] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-api/

    MC: need to resolve the security issues around openURL method

    AB: perhaps we should create an issue

    MC: yes, that's good

    ISSUE: need to flesh out the security considerations for the openURL
    method in the Widget Interface spec

    <trackbot> Created ISSUE-116 - Need to flesh out the security
    considerations for the openURL method in the Widget Interface spec ;
    please complete additional details at
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/issues/116/edit .

      [17] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/issues/116/edit

    MC: not sure exactly what we want to say
    ... I think the TWI spec is 100% implementable
    ... at least for the API

    AB: the text for sec consids would be non-normative

    MC: need to get more feedback from Implementors
    ... Wookie hasn't implemented 100% (yet)
    ... BONDI has done some work but it doesn't implement the Widget
    interface
    ... need to do some followups re TWI implementation
    ... Cyril and GPAC is another Implementor

    AB: is there an open issue regarding the <span> and dir changes made
    to the P&C spec?

    MC: unicode has text re the markers and says not to include them
    ... some chars have directional indicators
    ... I haven't received much useful info on what to do; think we
    should just return the raw string

    AB: is that what is spec'ed now?

    MC: yes, just returns the raw string
    ... could also return string plus direction plus lang
    ... but that's a lot of work

    AB: my gut feel is we should stay with what we have defined and only
    change it if Implementors and/or Developers complain

    MC: agree

URI Scheme spec

    AB: I haven't seen any new information about our scheme registration
    request. Robin needs to respond to Julian's comments (
    [18]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JanMar/07
    13.html )

      [18] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2010JanMar/0713.html

    <scribe> ACTION: Robin respond to Julian's comment re widget: URI
    scheme registration (
    [19]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JanMar/07
    13.html ) [recorded in
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2010/03/18-wam-minutes.html#action02]

      [19] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2010JanMar/0713.html

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-510 - Respond to Julian's comment re
    widget: URI scheme registration (
    [21]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JanMar/07
    13.html ) [on Robin Berjon - due 2010-03-25].

      [21] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2010JanMar/0713.html

View Modes Media Feature spec

    AB: our request to the CSS WG for comments on the pre-LC version of
    the VMMF spec ( [22]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-vmmf )
    resulted in several responses.
    ... comments from the WG (
    [23]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JanMar/08
    04.html )
    ... comments from Daniel Glazman (
    [24]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JanMar/08
    00.html ), his personal comments
    ... comments from Brad Kemper (
    [25]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JanMar/08
    03.html ) regarding the definitions of the modes
    ... without Robin here today, I'm reluctant to do a deep dive

      [22] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-vmmf
      [23] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2010JanMar/0804.html
      [24] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2010JanMar/0800.html
      [25] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2010JanMar/0803.html

    MC: fair enough; I haven't done a thorough review yet

    AB: Marcos raised a question about height and width attribute (
    [26]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JanMar/08
    47.html )

      [26] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2010JanMar/0847.html

    MC: yes, I need to discuss this with Robin
    ... P&C says that VMMF defines how width and height are used

    AB: ok, let's wait for Robin to respond to your comment
    ... my recommendation is that we continue discussions on the mail
    list

    MC: generally, I think the doc is looking pretty good

    AB: yes, I tend to agree
    ... it was particuarly good to see the CSS WG thinks it was a good
    idea
    ... I need to thank them and Daniel for sending comments
    ... any comments about the spec being more general than just widgets

    MC: not clear what that really means
    ... don't want to add a bunch of complexity

    AB: agree!

    MC: there is also a question about the relationship to CSSOM
    ... want to keep VMMF as simple as possible

    AB: so keep the functionality constrained such that additional
    functionality can be layered on top of it

    MC: need to see how it lines up with the VM-I spec
    ... should mention VMI spec to CSS WG

    Arve: the APIs are needed e.g. switching modes
    ... may want to change content upon mode switch

    AB: an action then to followup with Marcin on VM-I

    MC: should ask CSS WG now to review VM-I

    AB: was there a natural follow-up on one of the comments?

    MC: yes, think so

    AB: here is what I think it the latest VM-I spec:
    [27]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-vm/vm-interfaces.src.html
    ... I don't know if it reflects Yael Aharon's comments

      [27] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-vm/vm-interfaces.src.html

    MC: I'll reply to Daniel G with a pointer to VM-I spec
    ... and I'll CC AvK too

    AB: excellent and thanks for doing that!
    ... anything else on View Modes for today?

    MC: no

AoB

    AB: is there anything else for today?

    Arve: re charter, what about high-resolution timers?
    ... Google created a proposal
    ... think the use case was debugging
    ... the question is: is this in scope for WebApps?

    AB: yes, here is the start of one thread:
    [28]http://www.w3.org/mid/802863260908121812i71940b50l851ad09c6ec7fe
    d9@mail.gmail.com
    ... Draft charter
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2010/webapps/charter/Overview.html
    ... next call is April 1 (no call on March 25). Meeting adjourned.

      [28] http://www.w3.org/mid/ 
802863260908121812i71940b50l851ad09c6ec7fed9@mail.gmail.com
      [29] http://www.w3.org/2010/webapps/charter/Overview.html

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: barstow follow up with Scott re the <span> element and
    dir element and Wookie [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2010/03/18-wam-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: Robin respond to Julian's comment re widget: URI
    scheme registration (
    [31]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JanMar/07
    13.html ) [recorded in
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2010/03/18-wam-minutes.html#action02]

      [31] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2010JanMar/0713.html

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 18 March 2010 14:04:38 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 26 March 2013 18:49:37 GMT