Re: Updates to File API

Jonas Sicking wrote:

>>> I'm not sure that one follows from the other. The property's called 'url'
>>> because that's what will be familiar to authors, but the magic string that
>>> goes inside of it could still be a URN.

FWIW, I'm a developer and sticking a URN in a .url property really
doesn't seem familiar at all - even a '.id' property with an id that was
consistently generated would be much better.

If the scope of the identifiers is limited to a single ua, on a single
machine, and specific to that single ua (as in I can't expect to request
the identifier outside of the ua that provided it on x machine and get
the same results) then I (personally) can't see why there's a need for
anything more than a simple unique identifier (sha1 or suchlike)

And if the above is true, then surely this would negate the need for
.url, registering a new URI scheme, or URN namespace - and all in save
you all from lots of headaches & time wasted, close the issue, and save
the developer community from years of further confusion (or should i say
conflated understanding of what a URL is), and benefit the entire web by
saving us from yet another (predominantly unneeded) URN namespace or URL
scheme.

Best & leave this in your capable hands.

Nathan