Re: [IndexedDB] Granting storage quotas

This thinking resonates with what we've been thinking too (I think).

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> We had some discussions about this at mozilla yesterday. I think the
> summary is something like this:
>
> * We'd like to expire data in IndexDB after some time. This will
> likely be based on heuristics, such as haven't visited the site for an
> extended period of time, though possibly keep the data a bit longer if
> it was put in the database during offline mode and thus likely
> contains data from the user. So in other words, we'd like to prevent
> data staying on the users system indefinitely for a site that the user
> no longer uses.
> * We'll expose UI to allow the user to remove data at any point.
> Similar to cookie UIs.
> * We'll expose APIs to extension developers to allow extensions to
> manage data lifetime as well, similar to cookie APIs.
> * We support the idea of temporary object stores used to for example
> implement cross joins. One solution is that these as never inserted
> into a database, but are only useable if you have a reference to a
> store object. Once the storage object is no longer used and is GCed,
> the store is nuked.
> * There was some support for non-permanent-but-possibly-long-lasting,
> useful for for example caching data that is also available on the
> server. The main concern here was that sites will always just opt for
> the most permanent storage option. So we need to ensure that there is
> incentive not to do this.

We have in mind that the incentives for developers to not always utilize the
most permanent storage option are...
1) Non-permanent storage is accessible w/o explicit user opt-in, so less
annoying UI.
2) Less of a burden to 'manage' the data if the user-agent will clean it up
for you.