RE: Client side JavaScript i18n API

Hi,

I think that Internationalization support in JavaScript has been too long overlooked and represents a barrier to development of multilingual web sites.

The Internationalization WG actually approached the ECMASCript folks about providing for international support in the JavaScript language. We feel that explicit support in the language is important, and the ECMAScript people we met with at W3C TPAC 2009 seemed open to our suggestions.

An outline of the requirements we presented to them can be found here:

   http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/JavaScriptInternationalization

Based on our conversation with the ECMA working group, we should be prepared to make proposals and work with them on language standardization in the near future. If functional implementations can be demonstrated, that would probably be helpful as well.

Regards,

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126