Re: [IndexedDB] Granting storage quotas

On Apr 23, 2010, at 20:08 , Shawn Wilsher wrote:
> On 4/23/2010 7:39 AM, Nikunj Mehta wrote:
>> Could we create an additional optional parameter for an open request with the type of permanence required? Or is it not a good idea?
> I haven't talked to anyone at Mozilla that thinks that having permanent and non-permanent-but-possibly-long-lasting data to be a good idea.  There does seem to be support for a session-only version of indexedDB.

How would you handle the case of a web site offering a video editing service? Would you require that all the footage be uploaded (and redownloaded every time the browser deletes the cache due to its massive size)? Why not just let the user upload the final product? That seems rather wasteful, and even though video editing is a slightly extreme example, there are plenty of other cases that can generate a lot of data that is only of local use.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/