Re: [IndexedDB] Granting storage quotas

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Nikunj Mehta <nikunj@o-micron.com> wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2010, at 3:19 PM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:
>
> This way of thinking is incompatible with offline web apps.  If I'm offline
> and I "send" and email, it needs to stay queued up to send until I'm
> reconnected to the internet.
>

> I think the problem is that data loss could occur regardless of
> "guarantees".
>
> Here are the classes of storage I hear you asking for:
>
> 1. temporary (no likelihood of data being being stored after session ends)
> 2. evictable (no limit per site, except global limits, eviction candidates
> chosen arbitrarily, including while application is running)
> 3. non-evictable (no eviction, but data loss possible, limited by user)
>
> Is this making sense?

That categorization does make sense, including the temporary.

I think we're (i know i am) most interested in the distinction between
evictable and non-evictable right now because the quota management and ui
implications. We've introduced these storage APIs that result in files on
disk, and now we want to put in some real-world storage management features.
The dumbed down 5MB per origin was a stop gap measure.

This is reminding me of Mike Wilson's  "state handling" post about different
scopes and lifetimes...
http://old.nabble.com/html5-state-handling:-overview-and-extensions-td24034773.html