Re: [UMP] Request for Last Call

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 11:58:21 -0700
Cc: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>, "ext Mark S. Miller" <erights@google.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Tyler Close <tyler.close@gmail.com>

On Apr 8, 2010, at 6:42 AM, Tyler Close wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Arthur Barstow
> <art.barstow@nokia.com> wrote:
>> Re the relationship between CORS and UMP, I believe the last thread
>> on that
>> subject was the following exchange between Mark and Maceij on
>> February 3:
>>
>>  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JanMar/0462.html
>>
>> (Neither Mark nor Tyler responded to Maciej's e-mail above.)
>>
>> We also have the Comparison of CORS and UMP document:
>>
>>  http://www.w3.org/Security/wiki/Comparison_of_CORS_and_UM
>>
>> If we are going to continue with two separate specs, I think it is
>> important
>> re expectations from Members and the Public, for there to be
>> consensus on
>> the relationship(s) between the two models e.g. why do we have two
>> models,
>> where do the models intersect, what use cases can only be met with
>> one of
>> the models, why they can't these two models be merged into a single
>> model,
>> etc.
>
> I believe the consensus is that UMP is a subset of CORS.

I don't know if there is consensus on that, or necessarily even
consensus on what "a subset" means.

I proposed several possible subset relationships in the email that Art
cited above. The thread died at that point, so I don't know if we have
consensus that those are the relevant subset relations. I would
appreciate a reply from you or Mark, and also from Anne, on whether
those are appropriate subset relations.

Assuming that my proposed subset relations are agreed upon, I believe
at least one of them still does not hold with the current UMP and CORS
drafts, my relation (A).

Regards,
Maciej